- Governmental Boards
- Town Hall
- City Court
- Employment Information
- Government Officials
- Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- Public Records
- Report Fraud
- Annual Audit
- Town Directory
- Emergency Information
- Surplus Property and Vehicles
- Contact Us
Election May 4, 2019 - April 17, 2019
Please vote on the Town of Jonesboro Proposition (Sales Tax Continuation), Saturday May 4th,... [more...]
TALBOT STREET CLOSURE - November 26, 2018
UPDATE: ALL RESIDENTS ON TALBOT STREET Construction has begun on Talbot Street to replace the ... [more...]
PROPERTY TAX NOTICES - November 26, 2018
TOWN OF JONESBORO RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES RE: Property Tax Notices The mailing of 2018 tax n... [more...]
Business Licenses & Permits
Please read carefully. The Town of Jonesboro has updated occupational licenses and fees for beginning in 2018. New rates will likely effect your business. Resourcs are available below to help you better understand these changes.
NEED HELP? If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Alfreida Bell, Tax Collector, by phone at 318-259-2385 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply - New Applicants
- Complete and sign the Occupation License Application.
- Estimate the first year gross sales.
- Calculate the Total Tax Due based on the gross sales and the applicable Tax Table.
- Divide the "Total Tax Due" into twelve, as in twelve months, and prorate it for the number of months the business will operate for that year.
- Submit the application and remit payment.
How to Renew an Occupational License
RENEWALS ARE DUE BEFORE MARCH 1.
Partially pre-filled renewal applications are mailed to businesses within the first month of the year. The pre-filled renewal applications only contain the license number, year valid, business name, mailing address, and business location. It is the responsibility of the business to complete the "Tax Information" portion. Below are thorough directions for how to complete your renewal.
NOTE: If you are accustomed to this renewal application, you may choose to complete and mail your renewal before receiving the partially pre-filled version by mail. The license number shall always remain the same.
COMPLETING A RENEWAL APPLICATION
There are five (5) section of the application that are your responsibility to complete: (1) Reporting, (2) Tax Tables and Fees, (3) Penalties and Interest, (4) Total Due, and (5) Certification.
In this section, you must report the (a) gross receipts, sales, or commissions, (b) total loans made, and/or (c) total gallons of fuel sold. Additionally, if you qualify for a deduction, you must claim it on line 1.d and subtract it from the total of line 1.a and 1.b on line 1.e.
To determine what you are required to report, you must determine what your business is classified as by reviewing the Business Type List.
- Tax Tables and Fees
After reviewing the Business Type List and determining what your business is classified as, you can locate the corresponding applicable Tax Table. In order to determine the "Tax Due," refer to the Tax Tables reference sheet and determine the license tax amount based 1.e of the Reporting section.
- Penalties and Interest
Penalties and interest only apply to those who remit payment on or after March 1. The interest is at a rate of 12 percent per annum until paid, and the penalty is at a rate of 5 percent for each thirty days of delinquency. (However, this should not exceed 25 percent as an aggregate.)
Month Late Interest Penalty Aggregate March 1% 5% 6% April 2% 10% 12% May 3% 15% 18% June 4% 20% 24% July and after 5% 20% 25%
- Total Due
To determine the Total Due, add together the total on 2. Tax Tables and Fees and the total 3. Penalties and Interest. This is the amount you must remit for your occupational license.
The owner, applicant, representative, or agent of or for the business must sign and date the renewal application.
How to Submit Applications and Renewals
To submit your completed and signed application or renewal, you can:
- Mail: You may mail it to us at: Town of Jonesboro, Business Licenses and Permits, c/o Alfreida Bell, 128 Allen Avenue, Jonesboro, LA 71251.
- Fax: You may fax it to us at: 318-259-4177, ATTN: Alfreida Bell, Business Licenses and Permits.
- Email: You may email it to us at: email@example.com.
Should you have any questions, or to verify receipt of your application or renewal, please contact Alfredia Bell at Town Hall by phone at 318-259-2385 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional resources available:
- Business Type List - use this sheet to determine which tax table your business operates under or how to calculate your tax if your business does not fit a table.
- Tax Tables - use this reference to determine the tax amount due, based on gross receipts for most businesses.
- Chain Store Tax Table - use this reference to determine Chain Store Taxes. (If you are not a part of a chain or group, this does not apply to you.)
- Definitions, Deductions, Minimums and Maximums, and Exemptions - use this reference to determine definitions, deductions, and exemptions. This reference also statutory references.
- Miscellaneous Documents - Mayor Bradford's letter to businesses about these 2018 changes; Ordinance 795, which repealed any previous caps; Meeting Minutes for the Public Hearing on Ordinance 795